Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Day After

It's officially the day after my knee surgery. It turns out that my knee was worse off than expected and a procedure that was a maybe turned into a definite yes. I had been having some knee pain since the end of April and I would have my days where it hurt like heck and others where I felt fine. I could never figure out how I could've injured my knee, I just knew something had to happen. I was referred out, by my primary care phys, to a Sports Medicine/Orthopedic surgeon's office. I found out yesterday that I had the best surgeon in the area and I couldn't be happier! I wish I could say the same about how I feel today. My mother had to return to work in Charleston and my hubby had to head back to work early this morning. This is my first day by myself, maneuvering around on crutches...letting my dog out to potty, fixing myself food and drink, etc. It has been a tough day so far and my pain has yet to change from a 10 to a 0 or anywhere in between. I didn't think my knee was so bad! I went in knowing that they were doing an arthroscopic procedure with the chance of a lateral release. It's as painful as it sounds, for it is the moving of your kneecap to a new position...and not only did they do that, they also shaved away some bone. I have to admit I'm amazed at the fact I can even walk, not that I want to, because it definitely hurts like a b-chacha. It's hard to believe that they want me doing exercise already, with such comes the bending of the knee. If I could, I would put my foot down..well, the good one I can...I draw the line there!! I cannot, let me repeat myself, cannot see myself doing exercises as the such. I'm already in enough pain...I don't need torture too. Maybe I'll start that routine over the weekend...we'll see. For now, I'm okay with just walking around with one crutch as my exercise...it's all I can handle. Haven't you heard, I'm a girl! I don't handle the pain that normal people could. I am proud of how I've come so far though :-)
Let me just add that I am a little hurt and disappointed at some of the "friends" I have. Out of the new ones I have met, and the ones that have been around longer...only 3 or 4 have said anything to me. I've witnessed their helpfulness towards other people and I guess I don't deserve the same treatment. I'm not asking for breakfast in bed or anything...just some well wishes. However, I am very thankful for the friends and family that I do have who have prayed and gave me those well wishes. I love ya'll. I owe a special thanks to my mom, my hubby and my sister. My mother came up on Monday night to be there for me yesterday for before and after my surgery. She was a major help with Kainen and I love her to death. For my hubby, he's waited on me hand and foot, I don't know what I'd do without him. I woke him up, out of his deep slumber, last night because I was having trouble sleeping..my nerve block wore off and I needed my meds. Not only did he get up and get them for me he also made sure my leg was elevated right and he even let me turn on the tv *which he hates to be on when he's trying to sleep* And last but not least, for my lovely sister. She has taken on the role of being Mommy to Kainen until the weekend. I am very grateful towards her...and I give her props. Taking care of a 5 year old, 2 year old and 6 month old for the next couple of days may be a challenge...I wish her the best of luck!
Enough of my rambling on, I believe I could write a novel if I kept going.
Happy Wednesday to Everyone, Hope you have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment